Monday 7 July 2014

JJ Marsh Guest Blogging today!

Today I am honoured to have the very wonderful JJ Marsh as a guest on my blog. Jill is the author of the acclaimed Beatrice Stubbs crime novels. Set in the UK and various European locations, these books are intelligent, witty and cleverly plotted. Find them HERE.

And now here's Jill riffing on all things poetic:-



I woke up this morning with a regret. 

Nothing unusual there. Yet this time, said regret was unconnected to a bottle of tequila, a roguish pair of eyebrows or another spectacular failure in a foreign language. 

I realise I told a lie. 

Yesterday, someone asked me if I read poetry. “Poetry? Not really my thing,” I said. “Much rather read a book.” 

That is an untruth. 

I met Poetry in primary school. We got on well. Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience lured me in and RS Thomas finished the job. Kiss-chase and rounders were neglected for lines such as these:
Men of the hills, wantoners, men of Wales With your sheep and your pigs and your ponies, your sweaty females How I have hated you ...

IMG_0552Secondary school led me to another Thomas. (Listen to this now and if you are not smitten in 90 seconds then you can stuff your Christmas card.) 

Here are words, looking for trouble. 

Here are words in a strange, ancient rhythm I already know. 

Here are words tumbling, effervescing, colliding, exploding with energy and lyrical power. 

Poetry made me laugh and cry. Poetry understood me. I swore eternal allegiance. 

Biology was one of my favourite subjects in Sixth Form. Kidneys are intriguing. But arts and sciences don’t mix so I did French Literature instead. Poetry and I went InterRailing and met Paul Verlaine. Green and the earthy passion contained in those words connected with a song I’d heard - Leonard Cohen’s I’m Your Man. Love as raw exposure. 

(I was only sixteen at the time and my poems were devoted to some public school twit I met on a sponsored walk. Still, his kidneys are mine now.) 

University’s Professor Turner turned me on to Wordsworth and the worth of words. His lecture on Nutting is still etched on my memory and caused one of my housemates to fall in love with his forearms. I kept reading French poets, not least to be pretentious, and bumped into Baudelaire. An encounter I’ll never regret. 

As often happens with childhood friends, Poetry and I drifted apart. I got in with a bad crowd (Crime), dropped out for a while (Literary Fiction) and messed about with one night stands (Short Stories). I knew where to find Poetry but wondered if we had anything in common anymore? In weak moments, I looked it up. Re-reading Robert Graves after The White Goddess: An Encounter, I recalled how poems of war carried a mightier punch than any footage or statistics. Raw words connected. Stag’s Leap by Sharon Olds - a different kind of war – left me wretched and awed. 

One compilation CD in my car includes Nick Cave, PM Dawn, Suzanne Vega, Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen (hello again) Alanis Morrisette and Joni Mitchell. I keep getting it mixed up with the others, so needed an identifying title. Why did I collect these singers/songwriters on one album? 

Because they use words in a way that shocks me, gives me shivers, sends me pictures, tells me stories and makes me think. Words doing things I didn’t know they could. Like Poetry used to do. 

Hello, Poetry? Are you on Twitter?   




Jill grew up in Wales, Africa and the Middle East, where her curiosity for culture took root and triggered an urge to write. After graduating in English Literature and Theatre Studies, she worked as an actor, teacher, writer, director, editor, journalist and cultural trainer all over Europe.  

Now based in Switzerland, Jill works as a language trainer, forms part of the Nuance Words project and is a regular columnist for Words with JAM magazine. She lives with her husband and three dogs, and in an attic overlooking a cemetery, she writes.

http://www.beatrice-stubbs.com/ 

@JJMarsh1              


Beatrice Stubbs Series by JJ Marsh

3 comments:

PAUL G NEALE. ARTIST said...

Hello Jill !

JJ Marsh said...

Hello Paul! One of the books I used to research this piece was the one you gave me inspired by friendship in the National Gallery. "My dear, dear friend; and in thy voice I catch the language of my former heart, and read my former pleasures in the shooting lights of thy wild eyes."

Philippa Rees said...

This post sublime, a love affair with poetry and self deprecation to follow what can never be fully conveyed, but listen to Burton reading Thomas and weep for language's demise in Text and Twitter.

Made my day! Truly did. Grateful to twitter for that!